Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Scene Interruptions - Krystal Shannan - Scene and Structure #13

So I'm really excited this week. I've joined a fabulous group of authors and will be merging my Wednesday Words of Wisdom with their Writers Words of Wisdom!

Don't worry, I'm still going to finish Jack Bickham's book Scene and Structure. We are almost done though....only two more chapters after today.... so I will have to go shopping for another title for us to study. It's been a great book. I have learned a ton and I hope you have gleaned helpful tidbits as well.

Today Jack discusses interrupting a scene. But you are saying "Wait!" Didn't he tell us earlier not to interrupt a scene?

Yes! He did!

Don't interrupt a scene for 'no good reason'.

But DO interrupt a scene to further tease and tantalize your reader!

Disrupting the scene with some sort of suspense, forces a temporary postponement of the conflict completion. Remember though to keep these interruptions short and allow the reader to get back on with the main story line.

A carefully planned scene interruption can be a huge tool to intensify the suspense in the story and to make that reader keep turning the page!

Be sure to check out the other Words of Wisdom today too!

Tammy Dennings Maggy(Tammy Smith) http://tammydenningsmaggy.blogspot.com/

Happy Writing,

Happy Reading,

Krystal Shannan

3 comments:

  1. Scene and Sequel is my bible for writing. I'm so glad you did a series of posts on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been such a fabulous read. I will be reading it again. It's one of those you don't catch everything the first time through.

      Delete
  2. I love interupting a scene or two to up the tension. Picking just the right moment is important, as is having your 'interuption' realisitc. I like to immediately throw my characters into something else that keeps them on their toes.

    ReplyDelete