Friday, July 6, 2012

Fabulous Author Friday ~ Krystal Brookes


Thank you for joining me for another Fabulous Friday! Please help me welcome Krystal Brookes.

Without further ado..................

Tell us a little about yourself.
I live in a small village on the West coast of Scotland.  I live alone, unless you want to include the giant spiders that come in for a heat.  I’m a teacher in real life.  I’m a bit of a sci fi geek and love meeting actors and actresses at conventions.

Did you always want to be an author?
Not really.  I was put off writing at school because I had too vivid an imagination.  I guess I wanted to live all the adventures in my head.  But I never did get to be George Kirrin from the Famous Five

What is your favorite part of being a writer/author?
Being able to exercise my vivid imagination.  I think it’s made my dreams more exciting.

Tell us a little about your book.
It’s a contemporary romance, set on the small Scottish island of Kilrigh.  It follows Fiona Campbell as she arrives home for her friends wedding.  She meets up again with Brodie MacNeil, her childhood friend and sparks fly.  But Fiona’s past gets in the way and she has to make a decision whether to let it go and take a chance on happiness with Brodie.

When did you start writing and when did you finish your first book?
I started writing Fan Fiction in January 2011.  I did Nanowrimo in November 2011 and finished a novel.  I’m currently completely rewriting it.

Where do you get your inspiration?
I don’t really have a place to get inspiration.  I find just knocking around ideas with friend or reading books and watching TV is enough to spark my imagination.

Do you plot and outline or do you just write?  Plotter or Pantser?
I’m a definite pantser. I’ve never prepared anything in my life.

Can you tell us a little about the process of getting your first book published?
I sent a short story into Pink Petal Books, expecting a big fat no and was surprised that my first submission was a yes.  It was a short story as part of the Dangerous Men Dangerous Places Anthology and I basically just did what I was told.  Content edits, line edits, social media questions, book cover questions.  Then I set up Facebook accounts etc in my pen name.

What book have you most recently released?
Yesterday (5th July) The anthology The Boys of Summer was released.  I have a story in there called Fan Girl and the Geek.

What was your favorite part of the book?
My favourite part of Highland Fling is the scene the night before the wedding.  It’s hot and steamy.

Gotta love hot and steamy!

Rate your story in terms steaminess?
Probably a 3 to a 4

Do you have another book in the works?
The next book in the Kilrigh Heat Series is still to be edited and I have two more of them being written.  I am also rewriting my nanowrimo novel.  It’s a sci fi romance.

Fantastic!

What advice would you give new authors?  What have you learned about the business?  
Take any opportunity to promote yourself and your books.  Don’t worry about what others are doing.

Boxers or Briefs?  Boxers
Pizza or hamburger?  Pizza
Beer, Wine, or mixed drink?  Alcoholic Pear Cider  Ooooh, interesting!

If you could spend a week anywhere in the world, where would it be?  Would you write or read there, or do something else?  
I fancy sitting on a beach in the Cayman Islands with a netbook and an internet dongle and writing a hot steamy romance.

Sounds good to me! Except maybe for the 'dongle'. Not sure what that is..... let's check.
Ahhhhh..... wireless laptop card. I should have known that..... maybe....*giggle*

(Character Questions)
What were your first impressions of each other?
Brodie: we knew each other growing up.  Though when she arrived back on Kilrigh, she was stunning.  All flowing red hair and matching temper
Fiona:  He looked so good in that vest top with his biceps bulging that I crashed my car.

What’s your favorite characteristic of each other?
Brodie: Fiona’s a single-minded girl
Fiona: He loves me despite my flaws and he’s very sexy.

What are your plans for the near future? 
Fiona: We’ll see how it goes.
Brodie: What she said.

Thank you so much for being with us today, Krystal.  It was a pleasure getting to know you and your characters better.

Please be sure and enjoy the excerpt below from HIGHLAND FLING. I know Krystal Brookes and I (Krystal Shannan, LOL) both look forward to hearing from you.

Be sure to visit Krystal Brookes@


Websites, Blogs, Twitter, FaceBook, etc.




When Fiona Campbell travels home to the Island of Kilrigh for her best friend's wedding, she doesn't count on meeting up with Brodie MacNeil, her childhood friend. Fiona can’t help but be charmed by the Laird’s handsome son – until he starts to tell her some home truths.
A city girl at heart, Fiona tries to resist his charms and his offer of a life together on the tiny island.  Can Fiona heal the rift with her father enough to accept Brodie’soffer and take on the job as the island’s vet or will she walk out on the one man she truly loves?

~

Fiona was practically falling asleep when she heard a low chuckle from somewhere near her feet. She sat up immediately, pulling her skirt down over her thighs. She found Brodie's gaze raking up her legs and over her body, lingering momentarily on her breasts before he turned and looked at Sarah.
“Gary was looking for you, Sarah. Something to do with the baking competition.”
“Oh damn, I forgot,” said the bride-to-be. “I get to choose who is going to make the cake for the wedding. Brodie, will you look after Fiona?” She scampered away without waiting for a reply.
Brodie threw himself down on the grass beside her, his kilt splaying out beside him, and then he smiled.
“Is this Sarah's?” he asked, lifting up the half-finished beer.
“Yes, but...”
“I doubt that she has anything too infectious,” he shrugged, taking a mouthful of the now lukewarm liquid. Fiona picked up her bag and pulled out her phone, trying to ignore her companion. The bright sun made it impossible to see the screen, so she tossed it back where it came from and studied the craggy hills in the distance.
“I'm sorry if I over-stepped the mark yesterday,” said Brodie. “It's just... well... he has missed you, Fee. And he also knows you've been having a hard time. John's been worried sick. You barely even email him anymore.”
“It's none of your business.”
“I know, but he's my friend.”
“I'm not a child anymore.”
His gaze moved over her again as he replied hoarsely, “Oh, Fee, you don't have to tell me that you're not a child.”
Fiona shifted uncomfortably, trying to find a way to change the conversation. His words were stirring feelings in her that she had put to rest a long time ago. She spotted his sporran sitting on the grass between them.
“What's wrong with your sporran?” she asked. He was close now—too close—and his breath on her neck was having a distracting effect.
“The chain broke. I'll be able to fix it easy enough with a few tools when I get home.” His hand was sneaking around her waist and she turned her head to find her lips close to his.
“Brodie, we used to play together in your paddling pool. This is...”
“You are welcome to join me in my paddling pool any time you like.” His voice was barely a whisper before his lips grazed over hers. She closed her eyes and allowed him to tease her bottom lip with his tongue before she parted her lips slightly. He pushed his tongue into her mouth, gently forcing her teeth apart and exploring. She wrapped her arms around his neck and he manoeuvred her back onto the grass, lifting his body half on top of her. As they devoured one another hungrily, he grazed his hand up from her waist to her breast, palming it gently.





6 comments: